The Sacrament of Reconciliation aka Confession has gone from being perhaps the most frequently celebrated sacraments to one of the most seldom.
Two primary reasons are these:
1) Failure to understand WHY we need this sacrament;
2) Failure to appreciate WHAT this sacrament is all about.
Father Paul will talk about the what, why, and how. What sin is, 6 reasons why confession with a priest is necessary, 12 misconceptions people have about confession, and the theology undergirding this sacrament will be addressed. The presentation will conclude with a heartfelt and honest homily on habitual sin that seems to be a life long struggle for most of us. There are many such sins, some quite deadly, and we all seem to have a few.
Father Paul will explore both the cause and hope -filled suggestions for dealing with this unfortunate part of our spiritual journey. The presentation will take about 75 minutes and will include time for questions, answers, and discussion.
- WHAT: A teaching on the Sacrament of Reconciliation and Habitual Sin
- WHEN: Friday 4 February at 9:30 am following 9am First Friday Mass
- WHERE: St. Brendan Church Sanctuary in Shallotte, North Carolina
- WHY: To understanding the amazing gift & opportunity in this sacrament.
- HOW: PLEASE REGISTER by signing up at the desk in the Gathering Space or by emailing Fr. Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also text or phone him and leave a message at (304) 433-7472. It helps us with preparing handouts.
- WHO: Fr. Paul Wharton, is diocesan priest from Wheeling- Charleston on Sabbatical and Priest in Residence at Saint Brendan. He has been a Priest (39 years), Prison Chaplain, Dean, Vicar, Teacher, Presbyteral Council Chairman, and a Consulter for his Bishop.